Zavalla PD: 2nd suspect in theft of motorcycle used in high-speed chase arrested

Zavalla PD: 2nd suspect in theft of motorcycle used in high-speed chase arrested
Charles Evans Jr. (Source: Angelina County Jail)
Charles Evans Jr. (Source: Angelina County Jail)

ZAVALLA, TX (KTRE) - Officers with the Zavalla Police Department have arrested a second suspect in an aggravated robbery that occurred at house in the 500 block of Barge Road on Jan. 27. Another suspect in the case allegedly used the motorcycle that was stolen in the robbery to lead law enforcement officers on a high-speed chase.

Charles Eddie Evans Jr., 24, of San Augustine, is still being held in the Angelina County Jail on a first-degree felony aggravated robbery charge. His bail amount has been set at $40,000.

According to a press release from the Zavalla Police Department, a victim said in a written statement that they were assaulted with a deadly weapon at a home in the 500 block of Barge Road in Zavalla on Jan. 27. The victim said Evans, Larry Shane McHale, 35, of Zavalla, and several other suspects were involved in the assault, the press release stated.

McHale is still being held in the San Augustine County Jail on four felony charges - aggravated assault of a public servant, evading arrest with a vehicle, criminal mischief, and aggravated robbery - and a blue warrant from Angelina County.

As a result of the Zavalla Police Department's investigation, they were able to establish enough probable cause to get an arrest warrant for Evans from the Precinct 3 Justice of the Peace.

The Zavalla Police Department picked Evans up at the house in the 500 block of Barge Road on Feb. 3, and took him to the county jail.

During the incident, McHale allegedly took the victim's burgundy and black 2006 Suzuki GSXR 1300 with an estimated value of $7,000, along with numerous other items.

According to a previous East Texas News story, Angelina County Sheriff's Office deputies, Texas Department of Public Safety troopers, Texas Parks & Wildlife Department game wardens, and US marshals tried to arrest McHale as he was leaving the back of a home in Broaddus at 9:40 a.m. on Jan. 27. However, McHale allegedly escaped on the stolen motorcycle and led law enforcement on a high-speed chase.

During the chase, McHale got up to speeds of 150 mph before he hit tire spikes on FM 705 and wrecked the stolen motorcycle, the previous story stated.
McHale was taken by helicopter from the scene of where he wrecked the motorcycle to a hospital in Shreveport.

A week before the high-speed chase, McHale was driving a four-wheel drive pickup when he rammed it into a U.S. Forest Service vehicle and an ACSO vehicle before driving into the Sam Rayburn Reservoir. McHale managed to get away in the dark, according to San Augustine County Sheriff Robert Cartwright. Cartwright said authorities looked for McHale until 2 a.m. the following morning before they called off the search.

The previous East Texas News story stated that McHale did about $5,000 worth of damage to the vehicles.

"At this time, the case is still being actively investigated and the names of the victim and other suspects are being withheld to protect the integrity of the case," the press release stated. "Any updates on the case will be generated as soon as possible."

Copyright 2017 KTRE. All rights reserved.