NACOGDOCHES, TX (KTRE) - Nacogdoches police have filed a sixth charge of sexual assault on a state agency phlebotomist after the investigator reported finding more suspicious text messages on his cellphone.
Adolfo Duran, 42, of Lufkin, is still being held in the Nacogdoches County Jail on five charges of second-degree sexual assault. He posted bail on the first charge before he was re-arrested on the second charge. Since then, the subsequent charges have been served while Duran has been in jail. He is now being held on a collective bail of $550,000. The bail on the sixth charge has been set at $50,000.
Warrants were served to Duran on the following days:
* Feb. 23, for a Feb. 18, 2017 offense.
* March 1, for a Nov. 25, 2016 offense.
* March 28, for a Sept. 7, 2016 offense.
* April 13, for a July 15, 2016 offense.
* April 26, for a Sept. 7, 2016 offense.
* May 2, for a June 15, 2016 offense.
According to the latest arrest affidavit, the detective discovered suspicious text messages on Duran's state-issued cellphone while investigating other allegations. The affidavit states the messages were indicative of Duran meeting the person assigned to the phone number at the Nacogdoches Health and Human Services office after the business had closed on June 15.
The investigator called the woman who had the phone number and she said Duran contacted her in the spring of 2016 and arranged for a meeting at a health and human services office in another county. During the meeting, Duran offered to provide an additional examination at a later time and they made arrangements to meet at the Nacogdoches office on June 15, according to the affidavit.
On that date, the woman said Duran sexually assaulted her during a full-body examination.
Duran, who worked at the Nacogdoches Health and Human Services office, does not have medical authority to conduct that kind of exam.
The latest affidavit is consistent with the five others in that they allege Duran contacts women to meet him after hours and then sexually assaults them after asking them to take off their clothes.
At least two of the victims came forward after learning about previous cases.
Dr. Robert Choate said a reassurance gradually develops among other victims.
"All of a sudden, they find out, 'Maybe now, they will believe me,'" Choate said. "'There is somebody else who has told the same story.'"
Choate said has counseled hundreds of sexual assault victims. He said ploys like the one Duran is accused of using are common.
"The degree which we are talking about here, this misuse of power, especially by supposedly a public servant, someone who is licensed or someone who has a job to do, that is noticeably common," Choate said. There are hundreds of different ways which that is done every day."
Counselors recommend that victims first go to places like the Family Crisis Center for guidance with employers, police, and the courts.
"These kinds of organizations are throughout the state," Choate said. "We have trained, capable, and compassionate people. We're not blame oriented."
Choate said there could be even more cases involving women who haven't come forward yet.
"So, if what we're seeing here is sic, it could be many, many more," Choate said.