GRAPHIC: Lufkin PD releases surveillance video of brutal robbery - | Lufkin and Nacogdoches, Texas


GRAPHIC: Lufkin PD releases surveillance video of brutal robbery at convenience store

Source: Lufkin PD Source: Lufkin PD
Source: Lufkin PD Source: Lufkin PD
Andrea Franks-Vanzandt (Source: Angelina County Jail) Andrea Franks-Vanzandt (Source: Angelina County Jail)
Source: KTRE viewer Source: KTRE viewer

At the victim’s request, the Lufkin Police Department has released the surveillance video of a brutal aggravated robbery at a convenience store on Aug. 5 in which a man beat another man unconscious and stole $35 from him.

“Richard ‘Ricky’ Archer, 39, left my office just a bit ago badly bruised and broken, but thankful to be alive,” said Jessica Pebsworth, a spokeswoman for the Lufkin Police Department. “He said he hopes people will be more aware of their surroundings after seeing what happened to him in a life-changing instant Saturday afternoon.”

Andrea Franks-Vanzandt, 21, of Lufkin, is still being held in the Angelina County Jail on a felony aggravated robbery charge in connection to the incident. His bail amount has been set at $40,000.

Pebsworth said Archer’s wife was waiting for him as he walked inside to pay for their gas at the Lucky’s convenience store near the intersection of Lotus Lane and the loop at about 12:40 p.m.  on Aug. 5. They had planned to head out of town to see a Houston Astros game.

Archer told Pebsworth that when Franks-Vanzandt grabbed the $35 he had just pulled from his wallet, he looked up, expecting to see a friend playing a joke on him.

“Instead, he was met a barrage of punches, kicks, and stomps that left him lying on the floor, in and out of consciousness,” Pebsworth said.

According to a previous East Texas news, no words were exchanged between the two men, and they did not know each other.

Franks-Vanzandt then fled the store on foot and was arrested by Officer Dalton Estes roughly 10 minutes later outside Pioneer Crossing Apartments. He had walked to the store from the apartment complex before the incident occurred.

"My wife will disagree, but I'm glad it was me," Archer said. "If it hadn't, I think something really bad was about to happen to those store clerks." 

Archer was flown to Memorial Hermann Hospital in Houston with serious injuries to his head, face, and eyes. Pebsworth said he was released from the hospital earlier this week.

Copyright 2017 KTRE. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly