Corrigan PD: Search warrant in drug investigation turns up K2, explosive device

Corrigan PD: Search warrant in drug investigation turns up K2, explosive device

CORRIGAN, TX (KTRE) - When Corrigan Police Department officers served a search warrant on a man's home on Aug 15, they found K2, or synthetic marijuana, along with an explosive device.

Now, the 43-year-old suspect could be facing possible federal charges in addition to the three felony charges that have been filed against him in Polk County.

Joel Rueben Lambright Jr., of Corrigan, is still being held in the Polk County Jail on three felony charges - manufacture or delivery of a controlled substance between 1 and 4 grams, possession of a prohibited weapon, and possession of a controlled substance less than 1 gram. Collectively, his bail amount has been set at $300,000.

Lt. Herbert Sims with the Corrigan Police Department said Thursday morning that they got information that Lambright was selling K2 from his home, and the information was of good enough quality that they were able to get a search warrant.

When the CPD officers executed the search warrant, they found K2 and what looked like an explosive device, Sims said. He said the Corrigan PD officers immediately got out of the house, and they called the Houston Police Department's bomb unit for help.

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms agents showed up at the scene as well.

Explosive technicians on the scene dismantled and secured the simple device, and it was sent to the ATF lab for examination. The ATF lab confirmed that it was an explosive device that contained gun powder, Sims said.

Lambright was arrested at the scene.

Sims also confirmed that Lambright, a former Texas Department of Criminal Justice prison guard, was convicted of manslaughter in March of 1995. According to an AP News Archive story, the manslaughter conviction was for the beating death of Michael McCoy, an inmate at the then-Terrell Unit in Polk County.

The AP story stated that McCoy, 30, of Dickinson, had been convicted of car theft and burglary, and he died within hours of the Oct. 7, 1994 attack. 
According to the AP story, Lambright and another TDCJ attacked McCoy in his cell after a scuffle between about a dozen prison inmates and 10 guards.

"The initial incident set off seven hours of sporadic battling between guards and prisoners, and authorities contend that guards later hunted and assaulted inmates who had participated in the attack," the AP story stated.

To read the full text of the AP News Archive story, click here.

Copyright 2017 KTRE. All rights reserved.