Affidavit: 2 year-old wandered into road after Chester man drank, smoked weed, passed out

Affidavit: 2 year-old wandered into road after Chester man drank, smoked weed, passed out

POLK COUNTY, TX (KTRE) - Deputies with the Polk County Sheriff's Office arrested a 37-year-old man Monday in connection to allegations that he passed out after he drank alcohol and smoked marijuana, his young son got out of the house and wandered into the middle of a nearby road.

When the boy was found, he didn't have any pants, socks, or shoes on, and his diaper was full.

Charles Ray Barnes III, of Chester, is still being held in the Polk County Jail on two state-jail felony abandon or endanger a child charges and a Class B misdemeanor possession of marijuana less than 2 ounces charge. Collectively, his bail amount was set at $20,000.

According to the arrest affidavit, a Polk County Sheriff's Office corporal was dispatched out to the area of FM 352 and Reily Village on Sunday to check out a report that a small child was walking in the middle of the road.

When the PCSO corporal arrived at the scene, he noticed several cars and people on the side of the road. He noticed a little boy about the age of two who was wearing nothing but a green shirt and a full "sagging" diaper. The corporal tried to get information from the child, but the boy was unable to communicate with him, the affidavit stated.

At that point, the toddler was transported to the Corrigan Police Department.

A witness at the scene told the PCSO corporal that he checked the area, but he was unable to find the boy's parents.

The witness later said that he found a home with the door open, and he went in trying to make contact with someone. According to the affidavit, the witness said he found a man lying on a bed and tried and failed to wake him up, the affidavit stated.

Later, the PCSO corporal met with a Child Protective Services worker and told her it had been about an hour and a half since they found the boy, and no one had reported a missing child.

The PCSO deputy went to the possible location in the 200 block of Ayers and knocked on the front door several times. After a while Barnes came out and asked him what was going on, the affidavit stated.

When the PCSO corporal asked Barnes if he had a child, he asked if the boy had gotten out again. Barnes also told the corporal that CPS had already investigated him about a month before that, the affidavit stated.

Barnes allegedly told the PCSO corporal that he got off work at 1 p.m. and started drinking before he fell asleep with his son. He told the PCSO corporal that he didn't know his son had gone missing.

After further investigation, the corporal learned that Barnes and a friend had been smoking marijuana earlier that day while the boy was asleep, the affidavit stated. Barnes allegedly still looked intoxicated when the PCSO corporal spoke to him, the affidavit stated.

The on-call CPS investigator told the corporal that the incident on Sunday was the third time something like that had happened. In addition, the CPS investigator told the corporal that they would be taking custody of the boy.

Barnes admitted that he had marijuana in the house and showed the PCSO corporal a plate with a marijuana baggie that had been put on top of the refrigerator. When the corporal asked Barnes if he had any more marijuana, he allegedly said no. However, the PCSO corporal found another baggie of marijuana in Barnes' pants pocket, the affidavit stated.

Copyright 2017 KTRE. All rights reserved.