Odessa family homeless following New Year's Day fire - KTRE.com | Lufkin and Nacogdoches, Texas

Odessa family homeless following New Year's Day fire

Submitted Submitted
ODESSA, MO (KCTV) -

A family in Odessa, MO is homeless after their home went up in flames New Year’s Day. 

The fire started in a nearby structure and spread to their residence.

Howard Cozart and his wife Laura at a loss for words after returning to a nightmare scene. 

As the barn was fully engulfed, the family was asleep inside their trailer. A nearby neighbor and his German Shepard dog are being called heroes for saving the family’s life

The barn is also a garage that housed thousands of dollars of items for Howard’s business. 

"We salvaged what we could," Cozart said. 

Richard Boyden is the neighbor being called a hero. 

He let his dog Roxy out to use the bathroom and her unusual behavior alerted him to the flames. He then ran over and yelled for the family to get out.

“She was aware something was wrong and if it wasn’t for her - she kind of promoted me to go out," Boyden said.

The family says they are grateful for the warning and the community's support. 

“The support has been amazing," Cozart said. "That’s the only thing that chokes me up. We can deal with this. We can clean this up."

The family believes the fire was started by an electrical wire.

You can donate to the family here. 

Copyright 2018 KCTV (Meredith Corp.) All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly