DPS Offices Help Katrina Victims

Evacuees can now get temporary identification cards at certain locations throughout Texas.

The Texas Department of Public Safety will issue the cards, at no cost, to evacuees who plan to return to their home state. The temporary cards are only available in Houston, Austin, San Antonio, and Dallas.

If you already had a driver's license or ID card before Hurricane Katrina hit, you can get another one at any DPS office, including here in East Texas.

Unlike a replacement ID card, a replacement license is not free.

If you've never had a driver's license or identification card, you can get one at any DPS center with proper documentation.