SAN AUGUSTINE, TX (KTRE) - It was on a job in Joaquin that Sterling "Buck" Hampton" was injured after a bolt of electricity traveled through his body.
Hampton's family said the electrical shock entered through his left arm and exited out of his chest. He was transported by air ambulance to a burn center in Shreveport, Louisiana.
"That was one of the most horrible rides that I've ever been on in my whole life," said father, Ralph Hampton.
Ralph learned, when he and his family arrived at the hospital, that his son had second and third degree burns to his face chest, back and arms. Hampton's heart also stopped twice.
"You feel so helpless," Ralph Hampton said. "There's nothing you can do, and your child, the baby boy of the family is laying there. And, he's not with his family."
A surge of electricity had traveled through Hampton's body while he was helping replace a power pole.
"They had to take the water cooler and wet down shirts and put them on him," Ralph Hampton said. "Because he was just glowing, hot to the touch. He was cooked."
Hampton's family learned that their son's arm would have to be amputated.
"One of the first things that he asked about when he woke up was, I don't even know if I have a job," Hampton's wife, Sharon Hampton, said.
But, now he'll have to learn a new way.
"We understand that there are other options and that's not, you know, the only thing," Sharon Hampton said. "So, I think we're looking towards the future."
Ralph Hampton said he knows that this is a hurdle that his son will one day overcome.
"I've never seen Buck fail at anything," he said. "Buck is one of the strongest men I've ever known in my life."
Hampton is still recovering in Shreveport with skin grafts and additional surgery.
Hampton's family asks that those wanting to help out with hospital expenses and other needs, donate to the Fallen Linemen Association, using Buck's name.