DPS Now Providing IDs For Evacuees

Evacuees can now get identification cards and drivers' licenses through the Texas Department of Public Safety.

New East Texas residents with a valid ID or license can go to any DPS office and get a new ID or license within a few weeks. Evacuees of Mississippi, Alabama, and Louisiana may also convert their previous ID cards and drivers' licenses to Texas.

Trooper Greg Sanches said, "If they have all their documents, it'll make it a lot easier for them. If they don't then what we'll do, we'll have to email their state and wait to get all their documents and make sure that it is valid."

ID cards are free for evacuees. Drivers' licenses are $24.