Midland City Council approves plan for new bike paths in Downtow - KTRE.com | Lufkin and Nacogdoches, Texas

Midland City Council approves plan for new bike paths in Downtown

(Source: KWES) (Source: KWES)
MIDLAND, TX (KWES) -

Midland city council approved an agreement for the funding of a partnership project with the Texas Department of Transportation on July 10.

The Midland Downtown Bike and Pedestrian Infrastructure Project will add new bike paths and other pedestrian safety measures to several downtown streets in the future.

The project's total estimated cost is $627,038. 

The project will be funded by a grant agreement between the city and TxDOT. The agreement states that TxDOT will cover 80% ($501,630), and the city will cover the remaining 20% ($125,408) as well as any overages.

The project will include - 

  • Bicycle lanes will be added on North Loraine Street and North Main Street from West Louisiana Avenue to West Texas Avenue
  • Pedestrian intersection improvements are planned adjacent to East Illinois Avenue from North Main Street to North Baird Street and adjacent to Texas Avenue from North Loraine Street to North Baird Street
  • A crosswalk with a median will be constructed at East Texas Avenue and East Baird Street between the Municipal Courthouse and the Wall Street Lofts parking garage
  • American Disabilities Act ramps, signage, and striping

City officials say the project remains under design, and expect construction to be complete by 2020.

Copyright 2018 KWES. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly