Lufkin Minister Killed in House Fire - KTRE.com | Lufkin and Nacogdoches, Texas

03/27/06 - Lufkin

Lufkin Minister Killed in House Fire

by Ramonica R. Jones

"At this point, based on the information that we have, we believe it to be an accidental fire originating from an electrical appliance - a stereo," said Lufkin Fire Marshal Duane Freeman.

Reverend Robert Session, his wife, Merilyn, and their two grandchildren were asleep when the fire started around 2:00 a.m. Monday. Firefighters believe it started in the garage, which had been converted into an office space.

Reverend Session died at a hospital from smoke inhalation and carbon monoxide poisoning.

"He had a heart for the community," said Linda Pendland. "He worked well with every aspect of community organizations and events that went on, especially with helping people to help themselves."

Eight-year-old Darnicha Davis and her nine-year-old brother, Darnann, made it out of the house alive, but Darnicha was overcome by smoke. People who know her are praying for the best.

Darnicha's cheerloading coach, Angela Simmons, said, "Darnicha is very talented, very gifted, and she has the ability to fight. I hope that everything works out for Darnicha because there's so much more that Darnicha has to offer herself and others."

Reverend Session pastored at Goodwill Missionary Baptist Church in Lufkin. He hadn't preached in about two months because of a recent stroke, but had plans to return to the pulpit Sunday morning. He'd just celebrated his 65th birthday last Friday.

Merilyn Session and Darnann Davis were treated at a Lufkin hospital and released. Darnicha Davis was life-flighted to Hermann hospital in Houston. She is expected to recover.

Powered by Frankly