Smoke Detectors May Not be Enough in an Emergency - KTRE.com | Lufkin and Nacogdoches, Texas

03/29/06 - Lufkin

Smoke Detectors May Not be Enough in an Emergency

by Ramonica R. Jones

An East Texas town is still mourning the loss of a prominent church leader killed Monday in a house fire, but other family members who survived the fire are improving.

Sixty-five year-old Robert Session died in the fire. He was a pastor at Goodwill Missionary Baptist Church in Lufkin. His two grandchildren and his wife were also home when the fire happened. One of the grandchildren, eight-year-old Darnicia Davis, is now in good condition in a Houston hospital.

Fire Marshal Duane Freeman said, "Mr. Session was overcome by smoke and carbon monoxide and was transported to the hospital and was pronounced deceased at the hospital."

Almost everyone has at least one smoke detector in their home; they can be life-savers during a fire, but not everyone has a heat sensor or carbon monoxide detector - dangers smoke detectors won't warn you about.

Art Rodriguez, operations manager at Guardian Force Security, said, "The best thing is to have both of them combined - smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors."

Homeowners should also consider installing some kind of fire alarm. A monitored system will automatically alert the central fire station if there's an emergency.

"Central station then dispatches the fire department," Rodriguez said. With "a non-monitored fire system, then you will have to depend on either your neighbors or the owner of the home to call 911."

A monitored alarm system can cost more than $2,000 depending on the size of your home, but the cost of saving your family's life in an emergency is priceless.

You can buy a carbon monoxide detector or heat sensor at just about any home improvement store.

Powered by Frankly