Authorities believe a wood chipper at the Lufkin recycling center may have sparked a fire. Witnesses say at one point, the smoke was as as high as 100 feet in the air and could be seen for miles.
The fire was first reported a little after four o'clock Monday afternoon. The recycling center is located near Angelina College in Lufkin.
Investigators believe A wood chipper Being used at the center may have been hot enough to ignite a compost pile.
No buildings were lost in the fire, but the wood chipper was destroyed.
Firefighters faced some obstacles while fighting the, with firefighters saying that the power plant was in danger of catching fire.
The fire chief also says they had to lay a water line across the railroad track.
Railroad traffic was stalled until the fire was under control.