Popular Business Destroyed in Fire - KTRE.com | Lufkin and Nacogdoches, Texas

07/20/06 - Huntington

Popular Business Destroyed in Fire

by Ramonica R. Jones

Huntington resident Jeanie Reed said, "I've been coming here pretty much since I moved here five years ago and it's the best place in town to go get a meal."

At least it was until Wednesday night. Jeanie Reed can't believe her favorite restaurant is gone. Dean's Meat Market in Huntington went up in flames. It took several volunteer fire departments about five hours to put the fire out.

"We don't know the cause, but we know the general area where it started," said Huntington V.F.D. Chief Jerry LaSalle. "It started back in the storage part of the restaurant where they kept all their paper goods; their napkins and plates and stuff like that."

Grease in vents caused the fire to quickly spread throughout the business, destroying everything. The fate of the popular restaurant is now the talk of the town. It sits on the corner of Third and Walnut streets in the middle of a residential neighborhood.

"Kinda sad to see it happen," said Reed. "Mr. and Mrs. Dean are great people and I hate to see this happen to them. It's kind of like the social place in town to come to."

Dozens of people were inside the meat market when the fire broke out. They all got out safely.

Huntington firefighters believe the fire was accidental. They hope to wrap up their investigation Friday.

Powered by Frankly