Big Sandy Teacher Died After Being Stung by an Insect - KTRE.com | Lufkin and Nacogdoches, Texas

08/17/06 - Polk County

Big Sandy Teacher Died After Being Stung by an Insect

by Ramonica R. Jones

Cindy Graham died after being stung by an insect at her Colmesneil home over the weekend. Her co-workers in the Big Sandy school district don't know what stung her, but said she was not allergic to bees or wasps. Graham was life-flighted to a Beaumont hospital. She died there Tuesday.

English and speech teacher, Tommie Babineaux, said, "Cindy Graham was like dropping a pebble in a stream and [like] all those ripples that went out, she's not gonna be forgotten. We've got too many memories and too many good things in our hearts. For every kid - from pre-K to high school - she touched, she left an impression that's gonna keep going and those ripples are gonna be far reaching for as long as those kids live."

Graham taught music and physical education in the Big Sandy I.S.D. She also coached girls' softball at the high school. Graham led the team to state two years in a row during her three years with the district. There is now a softball scholarship named in her honor.

Principal Eric Carpenter said, "People need to know what a great, special person she was; not only to the school, but to the kids here and the faculty. She knew how to motivate kids. Kids knew she loved them and she challenged them every day."

Graham and her husband, Big Sandy I.S.D. Superintendent Kenneth Graham, had only been married three years.

"The softball girls went to the funeral home [Wednesday] night and there was a bunch of them together and they were having the hardest time," Babineaux said. "He met them in the middle of that aisle and embraced them and told them 'guys, she's playing softball every day and she's hitting home runs and she's looking down and smiling, you can't hurt for her'."

The East Texas News called the Beaumont hospital where Graham was taken to find out how she died. They would not release her cause of death, but her coworkers said she was stung by a wasp two weeks ago and did not have any type of reaction to it. They are not sure a bee or wasp sting is to blame for her death.

Cindy Graham's funeral was held Thursday in Woodville. Counselors and members of the Region VI Crisis Team will be available for students when school starts Monday.

  • East Texas NewsMore>>

  • Lufkin grows with jobs and new businesses

    Lufkin grows with jobs and new businesses

    Friday, January 19 2018 6:41 PM EST2018-01-19 23:41:58 GMT

    According to the Texas Workforce Solutions, more than 300 thousand jobs were added to the Texas economy this past year, including many for Deep East Texas companies.

    More >>

    According to the Texas Workforce Solutions, more than 300 thousand jobs were added to the Texas economy this past year, including many for Deep East Texas companies.

    More >>
  • Zavalla's water issues combined with fires concern residents

    Zavalla's water issues combined with fires concern residents

    Friday, January 19 2018 5:20 PM EST2018-01-19 22:20:38 GMT
    Source: KTRE StaffSource: KTRE Staff

    The Zavalla Fire Department requested multiple tankers, Friday morning, after getting a call of a mobile home fire. The additional water was called in due to city's current water issues. 

    More >>

    The Zavalla Fire Department requested multiple tankers, Friday morning, after getting a call of a mobile home fire. The additional water was called in due to city's current water issues. 

    More >>
  • Restaurant Report - Angelina County 01/18/18

    Restaurant Report - Angelina County 01/18/18

    Thursday, January 18 2018 3:21 PM EST2018-01-18 20:21:46 GMT

    Lufkin Travel Plaza, Crown Colony, and Luckett's Hole in One

    More >>

    Lufkin Travel Plaza, Crown Colony, and Luckett's Hole in One

    More >>
Powered by Frankly