During the holiday season, people are often busy, excited, and sometimes a bit careless. The Nacogdoches Police Department issues the following suggestions to help keep your holiday season safe and happy.
- Be sure and lock all windows and doors when you leave your house or apartment.
- Don't display holiday gifts where they can be seen from a window or doorway. Store gifts before going away on holiday trips.
- If you go out for the evening, turn on a light or radio so your home appears to be occupied.
- If you take a holiday trip, have some interior lights activated by an automatic timer. Have a neighbor or friend check on your home, keep the yard, and pick-up mail and newspaper deliveries.
- Be wary of strangers soliciting for charitable donations. They may attempt to take advantage of people's generosity during the holidays. Ask for identification, how donated funds are used, if contributions are tax deductible, etc.
- Immediately after the holidays, mark new gifts with your driver license number and record new serial numbers.
- Test your smoke detectors.