Firefighters Finish House Fire Investigation

The Lufkin Fire Department has finished its investigation into a fire that destroyed a home Thursday night.

The fire happened on House Avenue. Investigators believe a space heater started the blaze. They said improper clearance around the heater is to blame.

The appliance was being used to heat the family's kitchen, but it was apparently too close to blankets and other items wWhich caught fire.

Captain Dustin Ledford said, "When we first get our couple days of cold weather, a lot of people break out the old space heaters that have been in storage all year. They don't have them properly maintenanced to make sure that they're functioning properly and with the Christmas decorations, the houses get a little cluttered and spacing becomes minimal."

The family of three that lives in the home in the 100 block of House Avenue was not hurt.