Former President Ford will be honored and remembered during six days of mourning beginning Friday.
Below is a schedule of planned events from The Associated Press. [Editor's Note: Stay tuned to KTRE-TV, ktre.com, and ABC News for full coverage of these events.]
All times are local.
- 12:20 p.m., Ford's casket arrives at St. Margaret's Episcopal Church in Palm Desert, Calif. Betty Ford and the family will have a private prayer service.
- 1:15 p.m., close friends and guests will arrive at St. Margaret's for private visitation. The Ford family will return to its residence.
- 4 p.m., public repose begins at St. Margaret's. The church will remain open until 7 a.m. on Saturday. A free shuttle service from Indian Wells Tennis Gardens, 78200 Miles Ave. in Indian Wells will run continuously. No personal items or gifts are allowed.
- 9 a.m., ceremony and departure from St. Margaret's.
- 9:45 a.m., Palm Springs Regional Airport ceremony. Public viewing will be located on the south side of Kirk Douglas Way.
- 10:15 a.m., Ford's body departs airport.
- 5:20 p.m., Ford's body arrives at Andrews Air Force Base, traveling to the U.S. Capitol. The motorcade will pause at the World War II Memorial.
- 6:20 p.m., the casket will be carried up the east steps of the Capitol to the door of the House of Representatives.
- 6:30 p.m. Rotunda arrival ceremony, open to Ford's immediate family, members and members-elect of the House and Senate, visiting heads of state, and invited government officials. After the arrival ceremony, the Rotunda will open to the public until midnight. The public waiting area will be at the southwest corner of the Capitol grounds, across from the U.S. Botanic Garden.
- 7 p.m., state funeral begins in the Rotunda.
- 8:20 p.m., Ford's body lies in state.
Sunday and New Year's Day:
- Ford's body continues in state. Rotunda open to the public from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- 8:30 a.m., the casket is moved from the Rotunda to the U.S. Senate door for a period of repose.
- 9:15 a.m., departure ceremony on the east steps of the U.S. Senate.
- 10 a.m., Ford's casket arrives at Washington National Cathedral.
- 10:30 a.m., funeral services will begin.
- 12:15 p.m., casket will leave the cathedral for trip to Grand Rapids, Mich.
- 2:15 p.m., body will arrive in Michigan.
- 3:30 p.m., casket will arrive at the presidential museum in Grand Rapids. An arrival ceremony for Betty Ford and guests will follow. The body will lie in public repose through the night.
- 2 p.m., funeral services at Grace Episcopal Church in Grand Rapids. The president will be interred at a hillside site north of the museum.
- 1 p.m., Betty Ford and the family will return to California.