Proud of East Texas: Dewberry Plantation - KTRE.com | Lufkin and Nacogdoches, Texas

7/21/07-Smith County

Proud of East Texas: Dewberry Plantation

Listed on the National Register of Historic Landmarks, Dewberry Plantation is the oldest two-story structure in Smith County.  Dewberry's owners Victoria and Ken Poppelwell say living there is like living in history.

Dewberry Plantation, once the headquarters for 130,000 acres of East Texas land, was built in 1854 by Colonel John Dewberry, whose commission came from the War of 1812.  The Poppelwells bought the plantation, now reduced to five acres, three years ago and consider themselves stewards of the house and its history.  They love sharing the house by renting it for weddings and other special occasions.  To find out more go to our homepage and click on the Know More on 7 link.  There you will find Dewberry Plantation.

Joan Hallmark, Reporting. joanhallmark@kltv.com

 

Powered by WorldNow
KTRE logo

KTRE

358 TV Road,
Pollok TX 75969

FCC Public File
publicfile@ktre.com
936-853-8639
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and KTRE. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.