Arrested Doctor awaiting Judge's Decision

It is a story that has been followed by the media in Great Britain for several years.   A doctor charged with manslaughter in the death of a Staffordshire woman moves to the United States just days after Patricia Leighton died, now, nine years later, she faces extradition back to the United Kingdom.

Family members of the victim are closely following developments in this case.

Through a partnership with ITV broadcasting, KTRE-TV is able to bring you reaction from Staffordshire in Central England.

Click on this link play "Doctor faces US extradition for killing patient."

Dr. Priya Ramnath was arrested just after 9 a.m. on November 30th at Woodland Heights Medical Center in Lufkin by U.S. Marshals.  Ramnath, a citizen of India and in the United States on a work visa, has been in the Angelina County Jail since her arrest almost three weeks ago. She is charged with manslaughter, contrary to common law, and accused of giving a patient in Britain a lethal dose of adrenalin in 1998.  The patient was having surgery to remove a bunion.

This week, Dr. Ramnath's attorney asked to be released on bail, pending her extradition hearing, which has yet to be scheduled.  East Texas family members and friends were there in support of Priya Ramnath, but were disappointed.  The judge delayed his decision on bail. The East Texas News has learned the next hearing on bail won't be held until January 4, 2008 at 9 a.m.  Prosecutors argue Ramnath is a flight risk.  Ramnath's attorney told the court that his client would be willing to surrender her passport and volunteer for house arrest if he would grant her bail.  The judge is considering her bail request.

Meanwhile, her lawyers say they will fight extradition because they'd rather have her resolve the issue in the U.S. Courts, instead of being extradited back to the United Kingdom.

One other note, Ramnath is also applying to become a permanent resident of the U.S. Federal prosecutors argue that Ramnath has over stayed her U.S. visa, but Ramnath's attorney says according to the law, she's allowed to stay in the U.S. until her permanent residency interview, which is set for February 1, 2008.

We'll have continuing coverage of this story on KTRE-TV and as new developments occur.