Free tax assistance is available at Goodwill for low to moderate-income families filing the EZ form.
Trained volunteers will be available starting February 5th at the Goodwill office located at 301 Hill Street in Lufkin.
"We are excited to be able to provide this important service to our community," said Nancy Bledsoe, Executive Director of Goodwill. "These volunteers have spent quite a bit of time in training to be able to provide this service."
Tax assistance will be available on Tuesdays, Thursdays and select Saturdays.
On Tuesdays, assistance will be provided from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. and on Thursdays from noon to 6 p.m. Assistance will be provided from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on these Saturday dates: February 9, February 23, March 8, March 22, April 5 and April 12.
Tax preparers ask residents to bring the following information:
- Proof of identification
- Social Security cards for the entire family
- Birth dates for each family member
- Current year's tax package, if one has been received
- Wage and earning statement(s), Form W-2, W-2G, 1099R, from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks
- A copy of last year's Federal return, if available
- Bank routing number and account numbers for Direct Deposit if a return is expected
- Total paid for day care provider and the day care provider's tax identifying number - which is either the provider's Social Security number or the business Employer Identification Number
- To file taxes electronically on a married filing joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms
"It is extremely important we have the correct Social Security numbers," Bledsoe said. "We do not want a delay in the filing of someone's return due to names and Social Security numbers not matching."
Bledsoe said the team at Goodwill is asking employers to make their employees aware of this free service. "This is an extremely important project for our community, and we want to be sure everyone knows we're here and ready to help."