Man burned in Lufkin in good condition

LUFKIN, TX (KTRE) - The man burned in a welding accident last week in Lufkin, Jose Ovta, has been upgraded to good condition at Shreveport's LSU Burn Center.

He was welding last week at Guy's Scrap Metal, with a cutting torch that had an oxygen leak.

The leak sparked with butane nearby and burned Ovta from the waste up.

He suffered 3rd degree burns and was flown by medical helicopter to Shreveport.

We tried getting in touch with the owner of Guy's Scrap Metal on several attempts, but he was not available.