Person narrowly escapes morning apartment fire

NACOGDOCHES, TX (KTRE) - Large clouds of smoke poured out of the small apartment in the 57 hundred block of North Street.  Firefighters grabbed their air tanks and ran the fire hoses to make short work of an emergency that affected several lives.

Torrid Jones first discovered the smoke when the apartment's breaker box switched off as she was leaving for work.  " It flips all the time, so I walked out and said we'll just flip it back when we get home. We don't need the lights anyway while we're not at home. All of a sudden all you could see was smoke. It wasn't two minutes later. " Flames appeared with Taneisha Tutt inside. She said,  " I was asleep. I was asleep when my cousin came. " Jones recalled,  " I ran to this window and beat on the window and called her and she couldn't get it up and we finally got it up and I pulled her out of the window. " The emotion was too much. She began to weep. Also a cat named Miracle was rescued. Another is missing.

Firefighters dealt with the thick smoke. They accessed the situation to make sure no one else is in danger. Joseph Ramirez with the Nacogdoches Fire Department described the damage,  " Had slight extension in the next apartment. This happens to be a four unit apartment. "

After the smoke cleared the tenant could see the loss was significant, but the fire didn't spread to other units.    Thankfully a fire wall had been installed at time of construction. Firefighters say if it wasn't there the entire complex would have gone up in flames.

Investigators suspect the fire is electrical in nature. Petrice Young is almost certain of it. She knows what she had plugged into one extension cord.   She admitted,  " Maybe, like three or four. TV, DVD, computer."  A common practice that fire investigators will certainly consider as the probable cause.

According to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, about 3,300 residential fires originate in extension cords each year, killing 50 people and injuring about 270 others. The most frequent causes of such fires are short circuits and overloading of extension cords.