"CHOP BLOCK" GRILLED BRIE with PESTO" yields 4 to 6 portions
recipe developed by The Clever Cleaver Brothers®
1 small wheel Brie Cheese
4 cups all purpose or bread flour
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1 1/4 oz package RED STAR® QUICK-RISETM Yeast
1 1/2 cups water, warm to 120 to 130°
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup basil leaves
4 cloves garlic
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
juice of 1/2 lemon
1/2 cup pine nuts
1 teaspoon Cholula® Hot Sauce
3/4 cup olive oil
1. Dough Prep - Food Processor Method: Place the Dough ingredients in a food processor with a dough blade attached. Turn on low setting until the dough ingredients combine and form a ball.
2. Place dough ball in a lightly oiled bowl and turn dough to oil the top. Cover with plastic wrap for 30 minutes or until dough doubles in size. Dough is ready when you stick 2 fingers in it and the indentations remain. This is referred to as being "ripe."
3. Divide dough in 4 portions and refrigerate 3 pieces for another recipe. Place 1 piece on a lightly oiled
8-inch pie tin and press down to fit the shape of the pan. Bring dough over the edge of the pan.
4. Using a small knife, make an incision completely around the top part of the brie wheel and remove the white skin. Press in the soft cheese to make a small pocket for the pesto.
5. Place the basil leaves, garlic, parmesan cheese, lemon juice and Hot Sauce in a blender. Push down the leaves, cover the blender and give it a little pulse. Remove the cover and add half the oil. Cover and pulse until it starts to blend. Add the remaining oil and pine nuts and pulse until you see the pesto become paste-like.
6. Remove the pesto from the blender and pile onto of the opening in the wheel of brie. Place the wheel of brie in the center of dough in the pie tin. Press the brie down. Fold the dough back in from the edge of the pie tin to form a "basket" around the brie.
7. Turn one side of your barbecue grill to medium-high. When grill is hot, place the pie tin on the side of the grill that is off. This is called indirect cooking. Heat until the dough is cooked and lightly brown. Remove and serve.