"TOUCHDOWN" TRI TIP PITA yields 6 portions
recipe developed by The Clever Cleaver Brothers®
1 Tri Tip Roast (2 pounds)
3 tablespoons The Clever Cleaver KitchenTM Dish On! Seasoning Blend
1 1/2 bottles Bud Light® Lime
1/2 bottle Bud Light® Lime beer
juice of 1 orange
juice of 1 lemon
juice of 1 lime
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sliced green onion
6 pita breads
1 head ice berg lettuce, shredded
6 tomatoes, sliced
1 red onion, cut in thin strips
1 lime, quartered
mayonnaise or barbecue sauce, as needed
- 1. Rub the Seasoning Blend on both sides of the roast.
- 2. Place the tri tip roast in a resealable plastic bag and pour in the beer, reserving the extra half-beer for the mop sauce. Seal the bag and place in the refrigerator for a minimum of 3 hours; overnight is best.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine the Mop Sauce ingredients.
- 4. Preheat one side of your barbecue grill to medium-high heat and the other side to medium-low.
5. Place the tri tip roast on the medium-high side and sear it on both sides. Move the roast to the medium-low side. Baste every 15 minutes with the mop sauce. Remove tri tip from the grill when internal temperature reaches your level of doneness and let set for 10 minutes before carving.
Temps: Medium rare -- 145°F/ Medium -- 160°F/ Well Done -- 170°F.
- 6. While you're waiting, let's start to build your pita sandwich.
- 7. Warm the pita on the grill and slather with mayonnaise or barbecue sauce or both. Spread out the lettuce, then tomatoes and onions.
- 8. Slice the roast in thin slices against the grain to get a tender slice. Pile meat on the onions and squeeze on some lime. Fold in half and enjoy.