"QUICK RELEASE" SICILIAN STEW yields 3 quarts
recipe developed by The Clever Cleaver Brothers®
3 cups cooked & cooled tortellini
1/2 pound Italian sausage
1/2 pound medium shrimp
The Clever Cleaver KitchenTM Bada-Boom! Sicilian Seasoning Blend, as needed
1 cup diced bacon
1/2 cup diced onion
1/2 cup diced celery
1 tablespoon The Clever Cleaver KitchenTM Bada-Boom! Sicilian Seasoning Blend
1 cup flour
6 cups broth
1 tablespoon Cholula® Hot Sauce
1 cup whipping cream (approximately)
1. Cook the tortellini until al dente. Cool completely under cold water. Drain and hold for use.
2. Grill sausage over medium heat until thoroughly cooked. Cool and cut into bite size pieces.
3. At the same time the sausage is cooking, completely peel the shrimp, devein and rinse with cold water. Rub on both sides with the Seasoning Blend. Place on the grill and cook thoroughly, but don't overcook (the shrimp will become tough). Remove from grill and hold.
4. In a large pot, sauté the diced bacon over medium heat.
5. When the bacon is crisp, add the onion and celery and the tablespoon of Seasoning Blend. Stir and cook until the onion becomes translucent.
6. Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the flour. Combine with a wooden or nylon spoon. This is going to make a roux. Continue stirring for approximately 2 minutes so the roux develops its thickening qualities, but don't let it burn or stick to the bottom of the pan.
7. Add the chicken broth and Hot Sauce and stir until the roux is incorporated.
8. Add the cooked tortellini, cooked Italian sausage pieces and the grilled shrimp. Simmer for approximately 10 minutes.
9. Turn off the heat and stir in enough whipping cream to make the stew your desired consistency. Enjoy!