by Kirby Gibbs
Lufkin, TX - Volunteer leaders and non-profit orginizations are in dire need of funding during these tough economic times. They've been rallying up to raise dollars and awareness of the importance of your donating dollar. Glenna Harkness the Branch Manager of Deep Easat Texas Service Center of American Red Cross agrees that, "the crunch is gonna be felt by all non-profits".
Many non-profits in angelina county are trying to come up with a game plan to combat these rough economic times. Bob Brown this years President of the United Way Campaign says, "when the budget committee met back in August [they] recognized that there would be challenges this year, but [they] set the goal at $600,000 knowing the kind-heartedness and the giving attitude of the people of Angelina County.
We got a gilmpse of just how kind-hearted angelina county people could be when it came to helping others in need during the time of Hurricane Gustav and Ike. But with those disasters behind us, non-profits still have a job to do.
The most reoccuring disasters are house fires and that's what the Red Cross assists with every month and funding to help families that experience these disasters has to come from local funds and donations.
23 Organizations, including the Red Cross are United Way Agencies and depend on their funding as well. the United Way says that these agencies are probably in greater need than the requests they are making.
Local Non-Profit Organizations you can donate to are:
*Alcohol & Drug Abuse Council of Deep East Texas.
* Hospice in the Pines.
* Katherine Sage Temple Child Care Center in Diboll.
* Boy Scouts of Angelina County.
* Angelina County Child Welfare Board for Protective Services.
* Salvation Army.
* Red Cross.
* Boys & Girls Clubs of Deep East Texas.
* McMullen Memorial Library in Huntington.
* Court Appointed Special Advocates.
* Volunteer Service Council for the Lufkin State School.
* Janelle Grum Family Crisis Center.
* Lufkin Workshop & Opportunity Center.
* Lufkin Adult Learning Center.
* Angelina County Senior Citizens Activities.
* Samaritan Counseling Center.
* Girl Scouts.
* T.L.L. Temple Memorial Library in Diboll.
* Angelina Alliance for Children.
* H.O.P.E. Center.
* X-Change Place.
* Emergency relief.