TYLER, Texas (KLTV) - Our kitchen guest this week is Shalene McNeill with the Texas Beef Council. She’s going to show us how to make a beef barbacoa in the slow cooker, so it’s easy, flavorful, and will make great taco filling.
Slow-cooker barbacoa by The Texas Beef Council
· 3-5 lbs. Beef cheek or Chuck Roast cut into 4-inch pieces
· 1 cup orange juice
· ½ cup lime juice
· 1 cup water
· ½ can chipotle in adobo, diced
· ½ cup brown sugar
· ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
· 1 Tbsp. salt
· 5 garlic cloves, minced
· 1 onion, diced
· Lime wedges
1. Combine all ingredients into a large bowl. Cover and marinate for 2 to 24 hours.
2. Add marinated beef and leftover marinade to cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for 7-8 hours or until fork tender.
3. Carefully remove beef from cooker with little sauce as possible. Placing on a cutting board, shred beef with two forks and return to cooker. Cook for additional 10 minutes to absorb remaining liquid.
4. If desired, crisp meat in a cast-iron skillet before serving.
Pressure Cooker/Instant Pot
1. This recipe can be made in a 6-quart electric pressure cooker. Place beef and marinade in pressure cooker. Close and lock pressure cooker lid. Use beef, stew or high-pressure setting on pressure cooker; program 90 minutes on pressure cooker timer. Leave the pressure release switch in Sealed position and let steam naturally release (when the pressure is fully released, the float valve will drop and the lid will unlock and open). Carefully remove lid.
2. Carefully remove beef from cooker with as little marinade as possible. Placing on a cutting board, shred beef with two forks and return to cooker.
3. Turn pressure cooker to sauté mode on normal heat setting and let simmer for 10 minutes.
4. Remove shredded beef from pressure cooker and serve with tortillas.