TYLER, Texas (KLTV) - The East Texas Food Bank will start its bi-weekly walk-up food distributions next month.
On Friday, ETFB held its last drive-through emergency food box distribution event.
Friday morning was the last hoorah for some members of the Texas National Guard as the East Texas Food Bank focuses on restarting their produce distribution. E.T.F.B, Dennis Cullinane, describes how this program will work.
“We’re going to return to our more traditional program where people park and they actually can go out, shop, pick through the produce, like a farmers market and that’s what we prefer to do.”
Beginning July 17th, the program will re-launch at the Tyler fairgrounds.
“We expect to see a lot more traffic than we have been before because the need here is greater than it ever has been before,” he said.
This walk-up produce model will be held on the 1st and 3rd Fridays of the month.
“We’re going to return back to our regular procedures of giving clients the choice of what they want to eat.”
The Texas National Guard deployed to Tyler back at the beginning of April and Captain Steve Philpot says, their time here was productive and well spent.
“So far, the experience has been amazing, I think the guys have packed about 40,000 plus emergency boxes and senior boxes combined. Roughly over a million meals. Driven 22,000 plus miles all over East Texas and it’s really been amazing.”
Some examples of items you might see during this walk-up model are fresh vegetables, milk, and produce.
During today’s distribution, 795 families were served.