Man shot at Starrville Methodist Church moved out of ICU into hospital rehab facility

“He’s always been like Superman,” said Samuel Sellars, son of Mike Sellars.

Son of Starrville Shooting Victim Update

SMITH COUNTY, Texas (KLTV) - One of two men who were shot by an intruder at the Starrville Methodist Church this month has graduated from the intensive care unit to a hospital rehab facility, his son said.

On Jan. 3, Pastor Mark McWilliams and Mike Sellars were both shot after McWilliams discovered an intruder -- later identified by authorities as Mytrez Deunte Woolen -- had broken into the church and was hiding in the bathroom. McWilliams died from his injuries; Sellars was rushed to the hospital where he underwent surgery and was eventually placed in the ICU.

Sellars’ son, Samuel, spoke to KLTV 7 late Wednesday. He shared the news that Mike was upgraded from ICU to a hospital rehab facility.

“When I first got the phone call it took me probably a whole day for it to really sink in because I’ve never seen my dad in a vulnerable position in my life,” Sellars said. “He’s always been like Superman.”

This is how Samuel described his father and his initial reaction to the church shooting incident from January 3rd.

“Seeing him like that, it scared me to death. It was super emotional for me but I’m just so happy that he’s doing better and he’s going to be alright,” Sellars said.

He’s still hurting, but Sellars said he is tough and resilient. The two have been able to visit daily.

“He has made a lot of promising progress. He still doesn’t have the use of his right arm because of a damaged nerve underneath his collar bone but he is getting up and moving around a little with the help of the hospital staff,” Samuel said.

A few days after the shooting, Sellars created a GoFundMe to help raise money for his father’s recovery. So far, they’ve raised just over $2,000.

“We’re super excited about everyone’s generosity who’s donated so far. After he gets out of the hospital and gets to come home he’ll need a lot of, probably, some medical equipment and some outpatient therapy, and that’s pretty much going to go towards that,” Sellars said.

His father would play the piano some Sundays and Sellars said he’d often visit to watch. He’s hoping he’ll be able to get back to music in the future.

“If you are able to make a contribution, it is so greatly appreciated,” he said. “This has been really tough for everybody involved and we just want to see our dad get better.”

If you are interested in making a donation or keeping up with Mike’s recovery you can visit the link to the GoFundMe.

Woolen has been charged with capital murder by terror threat, aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, and aggravated assault with a deadly weapon causing serious bodily injury.

Collectively, Woolen’s bond amount has been set at $3.5 million.


Copyright 2021 KLTV. All rights reserved.