Lufkin apartment complex damaged by fire
LUFKIN, Texas (KTRE) - According to the City of Lufkin, firefighters were called to Great Oaks Apartments in the 3200 block of Old Union Road. The first unit arrived on the scene two minutes later to heavy smoke and flames coming from the 600 building.
That building and neighboring structures were immediately evacuated with the help of Lufkin police officers. Firefighting efforts then began. The blaze was called under control around 2:30 p.m.
Four engines, one ladder truck, three chiefs, and five support personnel responded for a total of 26 people. Two additional firefighters were called in due to the severity of the blaze. Nacogdoches Fire Department was also requested but cancelled prior to arrival.
Thankfully, there were no human injuries reported, but unfortunately one dog died in a downstairs unit according to a release from the City of Lufkin Communications Director Jessica Pebsworth.
Half of the building is believed to be a total loss.
Pebsworth said several Lufkin Police officers responded to the scene as well because apartment residents initially reported shots fired in conjunction with the structure fire. Those sounds were found to be caused by the blaze, NOT gunfire.
Lufkin Fire Marshal Ozzie Jarman determined that the blaze was caused by an electrical issue with a downstairs porch light.
Old Union Road from Trailwood Circle to Live Oak Lane was closed due to the fire. It has since reopened.
School pickup and bus routes to Brookhollow Elementary were affected by the closure.
Copyright 2022 KLTV/KTRE. All rights reserved.