Mom, 2 young sons seriously injured in Lufkin wreck now in Houston hospitals

Published: Oct. 2, 2013 at 12:15 PM CDT|Updated: Oct. 3, 2013 at 2:14 AM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

LUFKIN, TX (KTRE) - A mother and her two young sons are in critical condition following a car wreck with an 18-wheeler Wednesday morning.

Lufkin Fire Chief Ted Lovett confirmed the woman and two boys were taken to a Lufkin hospital.

Russell Dickson, who owns the nearby Quality Restaurant Supply, said it appeared the truck driver, who was carrying a steal beam, had come out of Spence Street and turned left, making a wide turn. He said it looked like the woman swerved to avoid hitting the cab and went under the beam.

"It sounded like a train wreck," Dickson said. "The truck was pulling across Spence Street and she wasn't expecting him to take the outside lane and she went underneath him."

Dickson rushed to the scene.

"I didn't expect to find anyone alive in that wreck," Dickson said. "The boys were moving, and the mama was breathing."

Ashley Hayes had just gotten off from work and was driving home when she pulled up on the scene.

Hayes said her first thought on seeing the smashed car was, "Oh my God. What has happened?"

"I was very surprised to see the one little boy on the floor board on his knees crying trying to get out," Hayes said.

The driver of the truck has been identified as 41 year old Flenton Jones of Wayne, AR. Jones told the East Texas News that he is not sure what happened but it was an accident.

The woman's aunt, Annie Peel, identified the mother as Shontay Green, 36, and her two sons as Jamie Windom, 4, and Jamion Windom, 3.

Both Dickson and Hayes are familiar with the stretch of road where the accident occurred, which is just outside of the large North loop construction. They said caution is needed.

"It's going to keep happening because nobody is paying attention coming across Spence Street," Dickson said.

"Pay attention, buckle your kids up. Just look out for anything and everything," Hayes said.

Hayes also said that she was just doing what she would want done if she had been involved in the accident.

"I do what I expect somebody to do for me and that is to stop and help and that is if you know something or not," Hayes said. "You can always be help. "

A Lufkin hospital spokeswoman said Green was transported to Memorial Herman. No condition could be released on Green at the time since she was in a "Restricted ICU" wing of the hospital.

Both of the boys were being taken by helicopter to Texas Children's Hospital in Houston.

A spokesperson with Texas Children's Hospital said that Jamie and Jamion are in critical condition.

Copyright 2013 KTRE. All rights reserved.