Lufkin man gets 8 years deferred for robbing Walmart employee with steak knife

Lufkin man gets 8 years deferred for robbing Walmart employee with steak knife

LUFKIN, TX (KTRE) - A 20-year-old Lufkin man accepted a plea bargain deal of 8 years of deferred adjudication for using a steak knife to rob an employee at Walmart back in March.

Quinton Lorenz Yarbrough appeared in Judge Paul White's 159 Judicial District Court Friday morning for a plea hearing. As part of the plea agreement, he pleaded guilty to a first-degree felony aggravated robbery charge.

As part of the agreement, Yarbrough was sentenced to serve 90 days in the county jail. However, since he has already been in jail 171 days, he will be given credit for time served.
According to the arrest affidavit, an officer responded to Walmart on March 22 in reference to a theft.

A store clerk said a man came in and tried to make a purchase but had forgotten his wallet. The clerk said she went on break and when she came back, he had returned. She said he again tried to buy the items, but his card would not work. She said he then stepped back and said he had a knife. She said he then showed a steak knife and she said, "And?"

The clerk said Yarbrough then asked if she wanted to get fired and came around the counter. The clerk said she then took the items and threw them across the counter and he ran and picked the items up and ran off.

The man stole a PS3 and two games, according to the affidavit.

After the video was aired on Crime Stoppers on April 6, police received several tips leading police to connect the case to Yarbrough, according to the report.

On April 9, police went to his apartment on Southend Boulevard and heard some rustling outside. They walked to the side of the house and looked over the hurricane fence and reported seeing a man with Yarbrough's description look directly at them and then threw a PS3 box over the fence, along with a long-sleeve shirt.

The affidavit states "it was obvious that he was the same subject in the surveillance video that committed the robbery."

The officer yelled for Yarbrough to stop but he then jumped over the fence and took off running.

Yarbrough later contacted police, interviewed with them, and admitted to the crime, according to the affidavit.

Copyright 2015 KTRE. All rights reserved.