LUFKIN, TX (KTRE) - A Hudson couple is alive after a fire engulfed their home Friday night.
The couple was able to escape the fire in their home, according to Assistant Chief Jeff Barker with the Hudson Fire Department. Barker adds fire investigators believe it is an 'electrical fire' that caused the blaze.
The home is located in the 200 block of Cripple Creek Road. The blaze began around 8 p.m. Friday.
The Lufkin Fire Department, Hudson Fire Department, Central Fire Department and other agencies responded to the house fire in Lufkin, in the community of Hudson. The American Red Cross has been called to help the Hudson couple. Neighbors say they heard something that sounded like fireworks or gunshots and then a loud boom. When they stepped outside they discovered the house was on fire.
"Well, I was terrified first of all, but when I heard the pop, pop, pop; I felt like the house was caught on fire because of some type of criminal activity," Michelle Reynolds said. "So, naturally it scared me to death. I was just hopping they got out alive."
Hudson fire officials have ruled out fireworks in the preliminary investigation, pointing more towards an electrical issue.
"Our Fire Marshal spoke to the homeowner and they were home during the fire and they said the electricity went out and then they found smoke in the electrical room and that's what is leading us towards that instead of fireworks," Barker said.