TRINITY, TX (KTRE) - The Trinity Police Department are investigating a Wednesday night house fire that destroyed a home on Barker Street.
Multiple complaints of fireworks made in the area are leading investigators to believe that Roman candles may be to blame.
"And, I had been noticing a lot of young guys," said Johnnie Randolph, the home's owner. "They were the ones who ran and told me, 'There's smoke, there's smoke.' I ran back, and the young guys were the ones helping make sure I was alright."
According to Trinity PD, complaints about fireworks in the area came within the same hour as the fire.
"It is a connection or a coincidence that, just a hundred feet down the road, there were some people shooting fireworks, a lot of fireworks," said Trinity Police Chief Steven Jones.
A majority of the firework debris found near the house belonged to Roman candles.
"Common sense tells you there's going to be a high probability of a connection there, between the shooting of the fireworks versus this house catching on fire," Jones said.
An insurance adjuster visited the property Wednesday but did not comment about the cause of the fire.
Police say they are using this as a teaching moment.
"People need to be careful," Jones said. "People need to be aware of their surroundings when they're shooting fireworks."
Randolph said she's just happy to be alive.
"I really appreciate all the young fellas around here that came and helped me," Randolph said.
Wayne Huffman, Trinity's assistant fire chief, said it took his crew several hours to extinguish the fire.